College of Emergency Nursing Australasia
The College of Emergency Nursing Australasia (CENA) is the peak professional association representing emergency nurses. CENA represents approximately 1200 nurses nationally and internationally. There are large numbers of nurses working in emergency and many more in circumstances which see them providing emergency care to patients outside of emergency departments. This includes nurses working in small regional and rural hospitals, health care centres and flight nurses.
Full Membership is open to all registered nurses and enrolled nurses. Associate Membership is available to medical and paramedical professional who wish to subscribe to the purpose of the College. All members are required to abide by the CENA Constitution and by-laws.
CENA Board of Directors
Executive Director | VIC State President
Acting Associate Executive Director | NSW State President
Acting Finance Director | VIC State Vice President
Administrative Director | QLD Vice President
National Board Director | NSW National Board Nominee
National Board Director | SA State President
National Board Director | SA State Vice President
National Board Director | WA State President
National Board Director | NT State President
National Board Director | QLD State President
National Board Director | TAS State Vice President
Board of Director Vacancies
The College of Emergency Nursing Australasia (CENA) is a company limited by guarantee which operates to represent the professional interests of emergency nurses. The business of the College is managed by a Board of Directors. The Constitution and legislation underwrite the responsibilities of the Board for CENA governance. The activities of the Board and the College are monitored by the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC), which is Australia’s corporate, markets and financial services regulator.
College governance is guided by the CENA Constitution, which was first adopted on 4th September 2004. It has since undergone minor amendments, each approved by the membership at an Annual General Meeting, the last of which were accepted on the 15th October 2010.
CENA is a national body, which represents emergency nurses nationally. However, some of the day to day work of the organisation is undertaken by Branches, which represent States or Territories. The Branches of CENA are managed by a Committee of Management and CENA members may nominate for positions on their Branch Committee. Members will accept a nomination via vote in the event that there are multiple nominations for a position. If you are interested in joining your Branch Committee of Management click here for a nomination form.
The Board of Directors is comprised of 2 representatives from each Branch Committee of Management; the Branch President and one other nominee. Executive positions on the Board are filled by members of the Board and include; Executive Director, Associate Executive Director, Finance Director and Administrative Director. The Board is also supported by the national office, which provides management, administrative and financial service.
The Board has identified portfolios which represent areas of work consistent with the objectives of the College and has established committees, subcommittees and working groups to address the work of these portfolios. The Finance Director and the Administrative Director chair two portfolios vital to achieving good fiscal and administrative governance of CENA.
CENA has approximately 1200 members and approximately 80 – 90 of these members are actively involved as members of the Branch Committees, the Board, as representatives on CENA and external subcommittees and working parties or in delivering the education programs offered by CENA.
Aims & Objectives
- To define and promote the standards of emergency nursing practice
- To initiate and support relevant nursing research and evidence based practice
- To define and promote the education and specialised skills of emergency nurses
- To communicate with educational, scientific and professional bodies (local, national or international) which are involved in or associated with emergency healthcare or associated disciplines
- To provide the nursing perspective on emergency healthcare issues
- To publish educational materials, newsletters, journals and other writings in respect of emergency nursing
- To foster collegiality among emergency nurses
- To establish and maintain a national membership of emergency nurses
- To support and promote the activities of the State Branches
- To engage in any other activity and do all such other acts in accordance with the laws of Australia and this Constitution as may be incidental or conducive to the promotion or carrying into effect of the objectives of the College
- To provide leadership, representation and support for emergency nurses to promote optimum practice and challenge existing boundaries
- To promote equity of access for members to the College’s services and forums
- To participate in the discourse on emergency health care standards and practices to promote optimal health care, safety and advocacy for our patient population
As the peak body representing emergency nurses, CENA frequently receives requests to provide a representative to professional and government committees and working parties addressing issues related to emergency care and service provision in emergency departments.
This has included:
– Health Workforce Australia Extended Scope of Practice for Emergency Nurses project
– Australian College of Nursing & Allied Health Scholarship & Support Scheme Advisory Committee
In addition CENA is regularly asked to provide comment about policies and reports compiled by professional and government agencies, which includes:
– National Health Performance Authority inaugural report
– Independent Hospital Pricing Authority project, and
– The Australian Council on Healthcare Standards and Clinical Indicator Report
CENA is represented by Professor Julie Considine on the Australian Resuscitation Council. CENA is also represented on many branch councils of the Australian Resuscitation Council – please contact the Branch President in your state/territory for further details.